• Two-three weeks ago on 10th Ave, between University and Speedway, multiple people had tires slashed
• Upcoming library events – Tue. July 19, noon-1, Compost and Soil Health; Sat. July 23rd 11- 12:15, Yoga; Fri. July 29th noon-1, A Creative Approach to posture; Tue. Aug. 2 noon-1 Joe Bourne jazz; Sat. Aug 6 11-noon DIY Pest Control; Tue. Aug 9 noon-1 Little Known Stories of AZ Women; Sat. Aug. 13 10:30-1:30 Circus Arts Workshop;
• Ron Spark – Volunteer with Mayor’s Office – program is working to help 1st time homebuyers – especially U of A, TPD, TFD employees. Working with lenders to create loan packages to help with closing costs and down payments. Must take a home buyers course and you will get matched up with a potential home to buy. Can have a combined income of $81,000 to take part in this project, property to buy can cost 4x that amount. Looking to convert homes in the University/ Downtown area that have been longtime rentals or are vacant to see if owners are willing to sell their house to be part of this project. If you are aware of any homes that might fit this description, contact Ron Spark at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Monica Van Norman – Westside Community Service Officer – 791-4467 or Monica.Vannorman@tucsonaz.gov She is a neighborhood watch coordinator and is our representative in the Westside division (Team 2). They are based at the Miracle Mile substation and the range is from River/Orange Grove to Starr Pass to 22nd to Campbell. They are understaffed. It is important to report anything that goes on – whether it’s vandalism, theft, etc. so they have a paper trail. You can call the Non-emergency line at 791-4444, you can also report online: https://www.tucsonaz.gov/apps/crime-reporting/ You can always call 911 and if it is not an emergency they will transfer you or have someone call back. If you don’t want a full Neighborhood Watch program, Monica recommends the Next Door program: https://nextdoor.com/neighborhood/dunbarspringaz--tucson--az/ Monica provided a number of handouts - auto theft prevention tips, home safety, personal safety, a 911 flow chart and online services. She will try to attend meetings at least quarterly, but Monday is her day off.
• Fall home tour – Date selected Sunday October 16th from 1-3 p.m., with an after-party for neighbors and friends from 3-4, at Whistle Stop. We are looking for people interested in opening their house for this tour. This will be a biking/walking neighborhood tour and will feature homes, businesses, artist studios, public art and green/water harvesting features. There will be a papercrete workshop the morning of the event. We are looking for people interested in helping to organize this event/publicity/flyer neighborhood, etc. Contact Ezra (email@example.com ) or Karen (firstname.lastname@example.org ) to help out.
• Fall cleanup – tentatively scheduled for Saturday Oct. 1st at 8 a.m. We will have the city send out a postcard that has both the cleanup and home tour on it. We will try to organize a tree trimming workshop and have chipped and mulchy shredder available.
• 1st Street Chicanes – we need to make an effort to keep these (and other chicanes and traffic circles) cleaned up. There should be an educational component so people don’t go out and trim down everything in sight. Ezra will spearhead this effort, with another cleanup tentatively set for August 21st at 8 a.m.
• 11th Ave. parcel – This is to be a housing project between 1st/Speedway for folks who are low-wage earners. Ward 1 office has asked for a mini-committee to be formed to talk with Steve and the City of Tucson to create the RFP for nonprofits to potentially build these houses. Ezra and Adam will participate – need a few more people. If you’re interested contact Ezra.
• Mosquito/Arroyo Chico wash info – Ezra attended a meeting on June 21st to include El Presidio neighborhood, Pima County Health Dept and U of A. The U of A is using a low- toxicity chemical treatment. Eventually U of A will pay for cleanup through the wash. Pima County Health Dept is testing for W. Nile and Zika in our neighborhood (and others). Keep an eye on ponding water in your yard.
• DNARC – no meeting
• Downtown Links – no new information
• Garden – no report
• Dunbar Coalition – Working on a film project on the Dunbar school and people to have ready for Feb. 2017. Trying to decide what to do with $18,000 in a memorial fund for Cress.
Motion to approve June 2016 minutes. Approved 10-0