This event will take place on October 1st from 8am-12pm. Meet at the neighborhood garden (NW corner of 11th Ave and University Blvd). Please inform your adjacent neighbors of this event.
Our neighbor Omar of Native Roots Landscape and Design will show us proper pruning techniques, and to discuss Urban Forests and selecting the right sized tree for the space. Omar will be running a chipper shredder and we will chip your fresh (green) prunings for $30. Contact Omar at firstname.lastname@example.org or Ezra Roati (email@example.com) to arrange this, and please include an address, and location to place the mulch (large tarp preferred). Please join us for this informative and fun cleanup event!
We also will have three roll-off dumpsters throughout the neighborhood for your convenience to place large trash items and large dry tree clippings. Please bag all trash and weeds, prior to placing in the containers. The dumpsters will be located at:
- BICAS Parking Lot, 44 W. 6th Street
- Dunbar School Parking Lot, 338 W. University Blvd.
- 101 W. 1st Street, on 1st Street between 9th ave and Perry.
For those interested in the chipping/shredding, please adhere to these rules:
- All piles of prunings left beside street curb (for chipping into mulch) should ONLY be of freshly pruned, green limbs 3” in diameter or less.
- No old, dry dead wood will be chipped into mulch (this dulls the chipper blades too quickly.
- Pile branches so branch butts are all facing in the same direction. This helps ensure that the pile of prunings is not tangled, but rather is orderly and easy to take apart to chip into mulch.
- Wide branch “crotches” or “V’s” should be cut at their base, so the branch will fit into the chipper (no diameter can exceed 3 inches).
- All piles must be on street curbside before chipping service arrives on site.